Setup Applets in Firefox
These instructions install the Java Plug-In and may require System Administrator access
to configure Firefox to run NeXtMidas applets:
- Download the recent version of the Java Development Kit (JDK) from
install the JDK as directed.
- (Linux/Solaris Only) Provide Firefox with
access to the Java Plug-In library:
cd into the browser's
plugins directory located in the Firefox installation:
/opt/firefox/plugins (This requires System Administrator access) Or
~/.mozilla/plugins (Changes will only be effective for user)
- Locate the appropriate plugin library.
For older Firefox versions (pre-3.6), use the plugin which is the only
file in the
$JAVAHOME is the JDK's
i386 is the
system platform type (use
sol on Solaris), and
ns610 is the browser class (
for Netscape/Mozilla followed by a semi-arbitrary
For Firefox 3.6 and later, use the plugin:
32-bit Firefox: $JAVAHOME/jre/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so
64-bit Firefox: $JAVAHOME/jre/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so
NOTE: A 32-bit Firefox requires a 32-bit JDK plugin
- Create a symbolic link with "
ln -s library"
library is the absolute path of the
library found in the previous step). The link must be a symbolic
link; you can not make a hard link or copy the library.
- Especially if linking to an older JDK, make sure only the desired JDK is enabled in the Java Control Panel (other JDKs should be disabled).
- For more help, see Mozilla Support
- Start Firefox.
- Select Tools/Add-ons to verify that the Java Plug-in is present and enabled.
1) If you only use NeXtMidas as an applet on
Windows, then download the Plug-In from
install it separately from the rest of JDK.
2) When switching between JDKs, Firefox's cache may need to be cleared and Firefox restarted.